December is a photo browser designed for browsing file systems
created by digital cameras.
Insert a memory card, run December and it will automatically open the directory
containing the photos and make it easy to browse them.
(Design rule for Camera File system) defines how Digital Camera Images (DCIM) are stored
on memory cards using EXIF.
December allows the user to browse the images as if they were using an actual camera
and give access to all the details. Thumbnails embedded in EXIF mean that
it is fast to navigate through the images. Meta information such as camera, flash and
GPS tags can be viewed.
December is available for Zaurus and MacOS X.
- View EXIF and AVI ODML meta data, including GPS information
- Show thumbnails of JPEG-EXIF and JPEG-JFIF images, AVI-DIB (uncompressed) and AVI-MJPEG video
- Display a grid view, just like on a camera
- View an image full screen, scaled to fit if it is larger than the screen
- Browse the file system
- Automatically jump to mounted DCIM image directories
- Open images or video with an external viewer
- Delete single or groups of images and videos
Zaurus users need to install libexif from my Zaurus Libraries page
if you haven't done so already.
The toolbar icons are from left to right: Goto DCIM filesystem(s), bookmarks, directory view, detail
view, grid view, full screen view, external viewer, refresh, delete, settings and about.
On Zaurus, use the stylus, cursor keys, jog wheel, OK and Cancel buttons to navigate. On Mac,
use the mouse, cursor keys and Enter to navigate. In the grid view you can switch pages
using N and B for Next and Back; you can also use the scroll wheel or gesture to switch
December can automatically jump to the image directory;
- On startup if there is only one memory card
- If there is one image directory it will be selected
- If there are multiple image directories the parent will be selected
- If there are multiple memory cards with image directories a dialog will allow you to select the
- Similar rules as for single memory cards will be used
Read the detailed help file.
Changes in 0.7
- New option: always generate thumbnails for JPEG-JFIF type images (Zaurus version)
- Left and right arrow keys can be used in Full Screen View or during Slideshow
- Double click on an image in Grid View will open in Full Screen; single click opens in
- Adding a bookmark now uses the name of the directory as a temporary name, rather than
a truncated version of the full path
- Constant size layout in Detail View
- Mac version now includes libexif 6.20 in its bundle
- Fixed bug: Cleaned up entry/exit of full screen modes : corrected window focus (Zaurus), removed flicker (Mac version)
- Fixed bug: Slideshow not starting unless an image has been selected (Mac version)
- Fixed bug: Jumping when navigating images in Detail View (Mac version)
Changes in 0.6
- Slideshow mode.
- Progress ticker when loading Grid View and Full Screen View (Mac version only has ticker on Grid View)
- Filter function for toggling the display of hidden files in the Directory List View; only images or only videos
- More information displayed about AVI sound streams
- Fixed handling of AVI files with unsupported codecs
- Use settings to adjust dimensions of Grid View window (Mac version)
- Remember window size between sessions (Mac version)
Changes in 0.5
- New toolbar button to refresh directory view
- Added function to clear cache (see Preferences dialog)
- Check true size of image for cases where image was changed but EXIF data was not updated
- Allow external viewer to open JPEG-JFIF images
- Found and fixed a memory leak (Mac version)
- Layout dialog buttons according to style guidelines (Mac version)
Changes in 0.4
- Delete files function (see new icon on toolbar)
- Tweak to sizing of columns in directory list view
- Fixed bug reading GPS metadata
Changes in 0.3
- Bookmark directories on the filesystem. Short click the bookmark icon to add a bookmark, long click to
view the bookmark menu
- Support for JPEG-JFIF images: on Zaurus you must open the image in full screen mode before a
thumbnail and icon will be generated. On Mac the thumbnail and icon will be generated on the fly.
Generated thumbnails will be cached in memory, not stored on disk
- Thumbnails generated for EXIF images that do not have them. The same policy for JPEG-JFIF applies, i.e. on the
Zaurus you must view the image full screen first
- Added navigation arrow buttons to the detail view
- Aspect of thumbnails should now always be correct when scaling (EXIF thumbnails can be any size so must be
scaled if too big)
Changes in 0.2
- Re-layout detail view for each thumb
- Fix to show an icon when EXIF file has no thumbnail
- Meta data from ODML tags in AVI now read
- Use Zaurus jog wheel for navigation in portrait mode
- Release of MacOS X 64 bit version built on Snow Leopard and QT4; should also work
- Added support for selection of memory card mount point on QT4 version
- Fixes to avoid potential bugs